Tuesday, June 14, 2016

God Enslavement - Consuming The Divine (2016)

Hailing from Germany, the debut album from these death metallers is actually quite solid. Now the death metal that these guys produce isn't the kind that you'd expect from many of the cemetery slabs I've reviewed here on a day to day basis, but rather feels a bit more modern and technical, which might make some of you stop reading this review already and that's fine. But what I think really matters here is Adam Jarvis (Pig Destroyer, Misery Index) on the kit, and the extremely technical riff-matter crafted by either Deha (Black Sin, Clouds, Sources Of I, We All Die Laughing – remember that one?) Bjorn Koppler (Maladie) or Kevin Olasz (Aardvarks, Deadborn, Maladie... the Aardvarks are still relevant? That Conglomerate compilation was great, I thought.) In any case, one of these three men is responsible for such awesomeness and it certainly beefs up what can be rather chunky at times. Vince Matthews (ex-Dying Fetus, ex-Criminal Element, ex-Biovore, all great death acts) sounds like he's on a high fiber diet, as a large amount of grunt and groan mixtures vomit out, while familiar death metal (and this is the only real thing about the band that remains classic) riffing and drum pummeling erupts from the kit. The disc is very fast paced, but it feels almost as if a little more work is needed as Matthews' approach sometimes seems a bit heavy handed. That being noted, the amount of solos utilized on the record stands as a strong point, and keeps the material from becoming entirely bland, which it can do every now and again.

When I listen to an act like this, I feel like they're not completely at their prime with this approach and perhaps it will sound a bit more composed next time. At any case, I couldn't turn it down because the disc is real fucking pummeler and definitely will get you pumped for some heavy lifting. As we can see, there are a lot of great musicians here with a very stable that contains a great deal of potential. I just need to hear a little bit more before I can really call it grandeur. Much as I like this, it's no Dying Fetus, Criminal Element, Pig Destroyer or Aardvarks (yes, I really do like those Aardvarks) and therefore doesn't really stand out as a superior project to any of the acts that these guys have already been in, or are still playing in. That's not to say it's bad, because these guys are more or less just going out there and having a great time playing some really gurgly death metal stuff (but not gurgly enough, if you ask me) that I'm sure fans of their other acts will enjoy. I've just heard a bit better, and feel that much of the problem might even be in Matthews' vocal approach, which seems to weaken the whole performance for me. Give it a listen and see what you think, as it's not all that long and offers just enough for the time allotted.

(11 Tracks, 36:00)


7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment